5 Best Way to Remove Burn Marks From Vinyl Floor (Must-Try!)
Vinyl plank flooring is designed to mimic hardwood floors while being more delicate than hardwood and laminate flooring. Plus, most people prefer vinyl flooring for high-traffic areas due to its durability, ease of cleaning, and resistance to stains and scratches.
However, vinyl flooring also has some significant negatives. Like the fact that it tends to burn or scorch easily when it comes into contact with something too hot. Like dropped matches, burning cigarettes, or hot irons.
Moreover, if you have a burnt mark on your vinyl, let me tell you, you can repair those marks with everyday household supplies. However, if your burn marks are deep, you must repair them with wood putty or hard wax.
Furthermore, if your vinyl floor has a burn mark, your options for removing it are limited, no matter how small or large the marks are. But don’t worry, I have explained a few ways to remove burn marks from vinyl floors, no matter how large or small they are.
Best Ways to Remove Burn Marks From Vinyl Floor
Make use of Sandpaper.
Removing the sallow burn marks is a simple method; you only need a few items to erase the burnt mark. The first step is to clean your vinyl flooring. Then, take a piece of Sandpaper, preferably something with a very fine grain, and rub the burned area circularly using it.
Lastly, when you are done sanding, it may look flat or duller than the rest of your floor. To fix this, use a car waxing kit with a microfiber cloth to rub it on; you should not notice any difference.
Using Baking Soda
Light burn marks on luxury vinyl floors are usually possible to remove with a mop and wipe. However, if mopping and wiping do not work, you can apply a baking soda paste to remove them entirely.
Here are the steps necessary to remove burn marks from the vinyl floor:
- First, take 2 tablespoons of warm water and mix it with 1 tablespoon baking soda in a small container.
- To remove the mark from the vinyl tile, apply the paste using a washcloth, then scrub in a circular motion to remove the paste. To ensure your safety, it’s highly recommended to wear rubber gloves before applying paste to the vinyl tile.
- Finally, wipe the area with a damp washcloth if the stain has been removed. If it has not been removed, apply white vinegar to a wet washcloth and rub it on the burn mark.
Using Vinyl Repair Kit
If the burn marks are not too dense, you can repair them with vinyl repair kits. You can quickly get a vinyl repair kit at any home improvement store with a sample of your laminate flooring. Choose a kit with multiple color options to match your flooring color as closely as possible.
Using that color chat, locate the closest color and mix them. Next, apply a generous amount of the color you have mixed and gently wipe away any excess color.
The vinyl repair kit is a convenient and easy way to remove burn marks. The only downside is that the colors fade when you mop the floor, so you must repeat the entire process.
Using Hard Wax
Another effective way to remove and repair burnt marks from a floor is to use hard wax to fill the burnt hole. As wax fillers are ready to use once set, they’re very convenient. There’s no need to worry about drying, setting, or curing. Waxing vinyl flooring is more permanent than vinyl repair kits, but other than that, and they are pretty similar.
First, dig out the damaged area with a knife and thoroughly clean it. Then apply the wax using your soldering iron. It is essential to use wax of the closest color to your flooring. After the wax has cooled, remove it with a spatula and smooth the surface.
Paint the wax surface with the same structure as your flooring to achieve the most aesthetic finish.
By Replacing the Vinyl
Lastly, replacing your vinyl floor is the only way to remove significant burn marks. Although replacing planks from the middle of the floor is not an easy task, I have simplified the process in the following steps. However, if you have no experience with DIY and don’t have the right tools, you should consult an expert since you might ruin your entire room’s flooring.
Steps to replace a damaged flooring board in the middle of the floor:
- You first need to identify the damaged board and make an outline with tape near it.
- Then gauge the plank’s thickness and cut a cross in that damaged plank using your saw.
- Afterward, grab the new board and place it in the gap, then make any necessary adjustments so that you will place the new board perfectly.
- Then apply thick glue to the subfloor and lay the new plank, wiping off any excess glue afterward.
- To make the floor flat, place some heavy objects, such as a bucket of water, over the freshly laid plank for at least 12 hours.
Now that you know how to remove burn marks from vinyl flooring, you can apply any of the above methods and fix your vinyl flooring. It will save you the cost of replacing it. However, you should now make sure you keep hot items carefully.
Read More on Vinyl Floors
- How to Clean Shaw Vinyl Plank Flooring? (Beginners Guide)
- Can Mold Grow Under Vinyl Plank Flooring? (Answered)
- Can you Caulk Around Vinyl Flooring? (All You Need to Know!)
- 5 Reasons Why Your Vinyl Plank Floor Buckling (Guide To Fix It)
- How to Remove Sticky Residue from Vinyl Flooring? (Full Guide)