Removing your refrigerator from your house can be challenging for anyone unable to control their strength. Despite its weight, the fridge can be transported easily. A considerable risk is associated with this if it is not performed correctly.
It is common for fridges to leave scratches on the floor when they are moved. To prevent this, this guide will help you. Moving a refrigerator is not a very difficult task. It is possible to prevent scratches by using a dolly and foldable clothing or towels.
Besides damaging and scratching the floors, it is also possible that you may knock into walls and doors unintentionally because you cannot be sure if you will hit them. In this case, you could wonder how you can move the refrigerator without causing any damage to the floors.
Here are some effective methods that will allow you to move your fridge without scratching the floor. As a do-it-yourselfer, it is essential to prepare for a move by making use of the appropriate techniques, resources, and equipment.
Table of Contents
Prerequisite for Moving your Refrigerator
Before moving a fridge, there are several important things you need to consider, including:
- Empty the fridge: Ensure that all food, shelf units, and other items are removed from the refrigerator before moving it.
- Disconnect the refrigerator: Make sure that the refrigerator is unplugged and that the water and ice lines have been disconnected.
- Cleaning the fridge: Before moving the fridge, you should make sure that it is clean both on the inside and outside to minimize the risk of damage.
- Measuring the space: Take a measurement of the space where the fridge will go and make sure that it will fit through doorways and other tight places in which it will be placed.
- Gather the tools: Gather the tools you will need to move the fridge, including furniture sliders, a dolly, moving straps, gloves, and any other tools you will need.
- Preparing the installation location: It is imperative to ensure that the location where the refrigerator will be placed is clean and that it is ready to receive the appliance.
- Preparing for the move: If you need assistance moving the fridge, ensure that you have enough people along with sufficient knowledge of proper lifting techniques to help prevent injuries when moving the fridge.
The Right Way to Move a Refrigerator without Scratching the Floor
Step 1: Preparing the refrigerator
It is very important to prepare your refrigerator for its first use. Clean the outside of the refrigerator and remove all food, shelving, and other items from the interior. If you have any water or ice lines connected to the refrigerator, make sure they are disconnected.
Step 2: Preparing the floor
If you want to protect the floor in the area under the fridge during the move, you should put furniture sliders or moving pads underneath.
Step 3: Lifting and carrying
Get as many people as you can to lift and carry the fridge. To prevent injuries, make sure everyone wears gloves to protect their hands. In addition, make sure they are aware of proper lifting techniques so that they do not get injured while lifting.
Step 4: Moving the fridge
By sliding the fridge along the floor with sliders or moving pads, you will be able to move it. To avoid causing any damage to your fridge when moving it, make sure to keep the appliance level and steady as you do so.
Step 5: Protecting the floor
To ensure that the floor and walls are protected when you move your fridge through a narrow doorway or a tight space, use cardboard or furniture pads.
Step 6: Placing the refrigerator
As soon as you have reached the new location, you will need to check that the fridge is level and adjust any feet that need to be adjusted. Be sure to connect the power and any water lines or ice lines to the device.
Step 7: Cleaning up
Make sure all furniture sliders and moving pads have been removed from the floor, and dispose of any materials that were used to protect the floor during the move.
3 Best Alternative Ways to Move Your Fridge Without Scratching the Floor
Make Use of Boxes.
When you are moving, you might need to buy a few more boxes. Or, if you already have some at home, you could unpack them at your new house and then return them empty to your old house to move your refrigerator.
It doesn’t matter how heavy or bulky the refrigerator is. Cardboard is a great scratch-resistant surface that will protect your floor as you pull it over, no matter how bulky it may be. Create a trail from the fridge to the entrance of the house using cardboard boxes; use painter’s tape to prevent the boxes from sliding as you make your trail.
Especially when you’re moving your refrigerator by yourself, this is a very affordable and effective way to protect your floor while moving your fridge.
Invest in a Dolly to Make Your Life Easier.
If you prefer to move your refrigerator quickly and easily, you should consider using a dolly with wheels instead of picking it up and carrying it by yourself. Placing your refrigerator on a doll can make it much easier for you to roll it out of your house or apartment.
A dolly can be purchased online or from a nearby home-improvement store if you intend to move often over the next several years, or you can rent one from moving companies for a reasonable fee if you intend to move frequently over the next several years. No doubt buying a dolly will make your transfer easier.
Lift the Fridge in the Correct Manner.
It is important to make sure that the refrigerator is raised if you are moving it by yourself. If you have to lift a heavy refrigerator, take your time, take precautions to avoid getting injured and don’t rush.
There is no need to lift your refrigerator too high off the ground when moving it around; you just need to lift it high enough to prevent scratches on the flooring when you move it around.
When moving furniture, it is critical to use the correct strategy to ensure a safe and efficient move. You must squat down, hold the refrigerator’s feet, and then lift it off the ground. You already know how to accomplish this. If you go to the gym frequently, you already know how to accomplish it.
By using this method, you will be able to move your refrigerator without putting too much strain on your muscles. Most of the lifting is going to be done with your legs rather than with your arms. This job requires muscles. Don’t rush this procedure and don’t forget to take your time while working through it.
Tips and Tricks for Preventing Scratches on the Floor
When moving a refrigerator, here are some additional tips and tricks you can use to prevent scratches on the floor as a result of moving the refrigerator:
- Measure the space: To make sure that the refrigerator fits through doorways, around corners, and into the new location without scratching the floor, take measurements of the space where it will be placed.
- Use furniture sliders: Furniture sliders that are specifically designed for appliances should be used. It has a larger surface area and can handle the weight of a refrigerator due to its larger surface area.
- Have at least one other person to help: It is helpful to have at least one other person available to assist you with moving a refrigerator, as it can be a difficult task. It will be easier to control the movement of the refrigerator and keep the refrigerator level, reducing the chances of scratches on the floor as a result of the movement.
- Be mindful of the path: It is important to be aware of the path you are moving the refrigerator through and to try to prevent the refrigerator from scratching the floor with sharp edges or corners.
- Be cautious: Take your time when moving the refrigerator and be cautious when you do so. There is a possibility that rushing could cause the refrigerator to shift or tilt, which could result in scratches on the floor as a result.
- Clean the Floor: Moving the refrigerator might be more difficult if there is dust on the floors of your home, which can cause friction between the appliance and the floor.
Check Out More Articles Related to Flooring
- 7 Best Furniture Pads for Laminate Floors (Buying Guide Included)
- 7 Best Ways to Fix Peeling Laminate Floor (Must-Try!)
- [Solved!] Why Your Floor Makes Your Feet Black: For All Kinds of Flooring
- Do You Put Vinyl Flooring Under Appliances? (Answered & Explained)
- 5 Best Ways to Protect Vinyl Flooring From Heavy Furniture (Must-Try!)